Nanophotonic Engineering Laboratory (NEL)
The Nanophotonic Engineering Laboratory has been established at the Department of Maths, Physics and Electrical Engineering at Northumbria University in September 2019. We are interested in all aspects of nanophotonic materials, devices, and systems with novel properties and other applications. To achieve this, we are able to mould the flow of light through our structured materials and explore how it interacts with embedded quantum light sources. We use a variety of approaches, ranging from photonic crystal waveguides and cavities, and concepts from topological photonics with a particular interest in 3D artificially micro-/nano-structured materials, working together with the Renewable Energy Technologies and Materials, Quantum & Molecular Photonics Group, and Optical Communications Research Group at Northumbria University.
- 18 – 21 September 2023 Nadira will present the paper “3D Pyrolyzed Carbon Modified with g-C3N4@Ni Electrodeposit for Electrocatalytic Hydrogen Generation” at the E-MRS 2023 Fall Meeting in Warsaw, Poland.
- 29-05-2023 Our EPSRC ECR international collaboration grant project Additive Micro/Nano-manufacturing of Structured Piezoelectric Active Materials for Intelligent Stent Monitoring has just been granted!
- 26 – 30 June 2023 NEL will present the papers at the CLEO®/Europe-EQEC 2023 in Munich, Germany.
- 10-05-2023 Check out our latest publication on “Conformal CVD-grown MoS2 on Three-dimensional Woodpile Photonic Crystals for Photonic Bandgap Engineering”, ACS Applied Optical Materials.
- 29-05 to 02-06 2023 NEL presented the papers at the E-MRS 2023 Spring Meeting in Strasbourg, France.
- 28-09-2022 Our joint research proposal Catalyst Award (Academia Sinica of Taiwan - Healthy Longevity Grand Challenge Competition) with Dr. Yu-Sheng Lin from Southern Taiwan University of Science and technology has just been granted.
- 30-08-2022 NEL presented the paper and poster at the Photon 2022 Conference in Nottingham, UK.
- 21-03-2022 Our Royal Society Research Grant to fund equipment has just been granted, which is for a heated microscope stage to characterise materials properties of solar thermal absorbers.
- 01-03-2022 NEL welcomes its new PhD student: Miss Nadira Hameed.
- 23-02-2022 Check out our latest publication on Strongly Confining Light with Air-Mode Cavities in Inverse Rod-Connected Diamond Photonic Crystals.
- 22-09-2021 NEL has a fully funded PhD position available to study Artificially Nano-structured Materials for Three-dimensional Electrodes and Catalysts.
- 01-09-2021 NEL welcomes its new member: Dr. Mike Taverne.
- 04-06-2021 NEL has a Research Fellow position available in Experimental Nanophotonics.
- 10-03-2021 Our EPSRC New Investigator Award project 3D Nanophotonics in Artificially Structured Chalcogenide Materials has just been granted!
- 02-12-2019 NEL has a fully funded PhD position available to study 3D Nanophotonics in Artificially Structured Chalcogenide Materials.